Virtues of learning Quran
In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful. All praise and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family and his Companions.
Indeed, Quran is a unique word of Allah which Allah revealed to the seal prophet and last messenger Mohamed peace be upon him to bring people out from darkness to the light. Allah the exalted says "It is He who sends down upon His Servant" [Muhammad] verses of clear evidence that He may bring you out from darkness into the light. And indeed, Allah is to you Kind and Merciful. Reciting and memorizing Quran are two of the righteous things that muslim should do. So, what are the virtues of reciting and memorizing Quran?
1. Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah said, "The believer who recites the Qur'an is like a citron whose fragrance is sweet and whose taste is delicious. A believer who does not recite the Qur'an is like a date-fruit which has no fragrance but has a sweet taste. The hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like basil whose fragrance is so sweet, but its taste is bitter. The hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'an is like a colocynth which has no fragrance and its Tast be is bitter." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
2. Once you read the Quran you will be rewarded ten rewards for each ayah that your recited. Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah said, "Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter." [At- Tirmidhi].
3. Looking in the Mushaf is an act of worship! Imam An- Nawawi said the following in his book Al- Majmoo': "Reciting the Quran from the Mushaf is better rewarded than reciting it from memory because it combines reading and looking in the Mushaf which is yet another act of worship."
4. Quran is going to be an intercessor for its reciters in the hereafter. The prophet peace be up on him said, "Read the Qur'an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection ." Muslim
5. Quran is a great guide for the mankind to paradise. Allah says "Surely this Quran guides to that which is most upright and gives good news to the believers who do good that they shall have a great reward". (Quran 17:9)
6. The reciters of the Quran will be with honorable and obedient Angels. Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah said, "The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Qur'an will be with the honorable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Qur'an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
7. If you would like to be one of the best people in the sight of Allah just learn and teach the Quran. 'Uthman bin 'Affan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah said, "The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'an and teaches it." [Al-Bukhari].
8. Quran is a guide and mercy for the believers. Also, it purifies the hearts. Allah says " O mankind, there has to come to you instruction from your Lord and healing for what is in the breasts and guidance and mercy for the believers." 10:57
9. Reciting Quran brings inner peace and reassured you. As Allah says "Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by the remembrance of Allah. Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured." 13:28
10. Quran is like a light in the darkness and the soul for the body. Allah says "And is one who was dead and We gave him life and made for him light by which to walk among the people like one who is in darkness, never to emerge therefrom? Thus, it has been made pleasing to the disbelievers that which they were doing." 6:122
11. Reciting the Quran in the mosque leads you to be mentioned by Allah to his Angels. The Messenger of Allah said, "Any group of people that assemble in one of the Houses of Allah to recite the Book of Allah, learning and teaching it, tranquility will descend upon them, mercy will engulf them, angels will surround them and Allah will make mention of them to those (the angels) in His proximity." [Muslim].